Magnolia's Candied Sweet Potatoes
-2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
-1 cup heavy whipping cream
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
-1 teaspoon kosher salt
-1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
-1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-1/4 cup brandy
-Zest of 1 orange
-3 1/2 pounds medium-sized sweet potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray.
3. In a saucepan, mix the brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and spices with a wooden spoon and cook over medium-low heat.
4. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Add the vanilla, brandy and orange zest; cook another minute to thicken further.
5. Turn off the heat, cool slightly; set aside
6.Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch circles and arrange in prepared baking dish.
7.Pour candy sauce over the sweet potatoes, cover with foil and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
8.Remove foil and bake another 20 to 30 minutes uncovered, until sweet potatoes are fork-tender, basting periodically with sauce.